A knocked-out tooth is one of the most serious emergencies a person can encounter. With quick and proper emergency action, the avulsed tooth can be successfully replanted by your dentist, and last for years.
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim is your reliable and skilled emergency dentist in Buderim who handles serious emergency cases such as a knocked-out tooth.
If you or child’s tooth has been knocked-out, it is crucial to stay calm and act quickly. After performing first aid, see us immediately for proper treatment.
How To Save a Knocked-out Tooth
- Locate the tooth immediately.
- Pick up the tooth by its crown and NOT the root.
- If the tooth is dirty, rinse it with water. Avoid using soap or chemicals, scrubbing the tooth, drying the tooth, or wrapping it in a tissue or cloth.
- For a permanent tooth: If possible, reposition the tooth back in its socket in under 30-60 minutes.
- For a baby tooth: Do not try to reposition the tooth. Take your child to see an emergency dentist.
- Bite down gently on a handkerchief to hold the tooth in place or store it in a container filled with milk.
- See a dentist within 30 minutes of the injury.
What to remember:
Keep in mind that the sooner an avulsed tooth is re-inserted, the higher its chances to survive and embed itself back in the gum.
You must not re-implant a baby tooth on your own as you may inure the adult tooth developing underneath. The tooth may also fuse to the socket and cause difficulties when it’s time for the tooth to be shed.
What Will Happen During Your Emergency Visit
Re-implanting the tooth can be easy or complex, depending on the situation.
Your dentist will check the position of the tooth by examining it and taking an X-ray. Any debris will be removed before re-implanting the tooth back into its socket. The dentist will numb the affected area and reposition the tooth.
The dentist will splint the tooth to the adjacent teeth (with a soft wire or composite material) to hold in position for several days, usually two weeks. Splinting is a technique used to temporarily attach the tooth to keep it in place.
The healing time may take 6-8 weeks if the area sustained more damage. If there are no signs of infections within this time, the condition of the tooth and the successful replant will be carefully observed during subsequent visits.
Your Emergency Dentist for Knocked-out Tooth
A knocked-out tooth is a medical emergency that needs urgent care. At Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, we are comprised of responsive and skilled dental professionals who will anything possible to save your tooth and keep you pain-free again. We use advanced techniques to address such serious dental cases.
Same-day Dental Emergency Appointment guaranteed!
Call (07) 5370 8865 to schedule your dental emergency appointment.