With the tools of modern dentistry, dental professionals can provide high-quality tooth restorations that last for many years.
Fillings and crowns are among the most common treatments used to restore damaged teeth.
Today, these restorative treatments are made even stronger and long-lasting because of the high-quality materials being used to manufacture them.
However, for various reasons, your tooth filling or dental crown may come loose and fall out. Some of the common reasons include:
- Secondary cavities under the crown
- Breakage of crown caused by eating hard foods or using the tooth as a tool
- Chewing on sticky foods
- Loss of tooth structure
- Faulty cementation of the restoration to the tooth structure
- Incorrect preparation of tooth or crown
What You Can Do For Lost Filling or Crown
Though losing a crown or filling is not considered an emergency, it can still cause pain and discomfort as the affected tooth can become highly sensitive to temperature, pressure, or air. It’s always recommended to schedule an appointment
For a lost dental crown:
- Be sure to clean the crown and store it in a safe place
- Reduce pain and sensitivity by applying a little clove oil to the affected area with a cotton swab
- If you can’t go to the dentist right away, use a temporary dental cement to keep your crown in place in the meantime. If dental cement is not available you may use petroleum jelly as an alternative (Avoid using household glue as it can damage the crown)
- In severe pain or not, visit your dentist as soon as possible to receive the proper treatment
For a lost tooth filling
- Just as in the method for a lost crown, use a few drops of clove oil on the affected area for pain relief
- Purchase dental cement for temporary fix
- You may use sugar-free gum to cover the cavity
- See a dentist immediately
Dental Repair for Lost or Damaged Restorations
The dentist will first evaluate the tooth with the lost filling or crown in order to determine the cause. For tooth fillings, the dentist may need to repair or replace the restoration, or go over other treatment options. If the filling needs to be replaced, you can choose a filling material that suits your preferences.
For lost crowns as well as inlays/onlays, the dentist can permanently cement the damaged restorations back to its original place. Before re-cementing them, the dentist will thoroughly clean the area to avoid the development of infection.
Your Emergency Dentist in Buderim
If you lose your tooth filling, dental crowns, or inlays/onlays, visit us at Comfort Dental Centre Buderim for immediate dental care. A damaged restoration can cause you pain and discomfort. At Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, we will do everything to restore your smile with ease and efficiency.
Same-day Dental Emergency Appointment guaranteed!