Wisdom Teeth Removal
At Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, one of the most common procedures we perform is the wisdom tooth removal.
We have extensive experience in extraction procedures, which allows us to provide safe and successful outcomes.
Not all wisdom teeth require extraction as most of them are healthy and have no issues during eruption. But if your wisdom tooth is impacted, it’s advisable to see your dentist as soon as possible.
When Do You Need Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Wisdom teeth extraction is highly recommended for the following reasons:
- Incomplete eruption
- Ulcerated gums
- Insufficient space (crowding)
- Tooth decay
The Importance of Extracting Impacted Teeth
In most cases, wisdom tooth removal is required if they become impacted. If they are not removed, infection and other problems can occur. In addition, you will experience pain, swelling, jaw stiffness, and illness.
Impacted teeth are also hard to clean due to their location in your mouth. If the tooth is partly covered and there is problem with eruption, there can be at risk of debris accumulation and possible infection.
Signs and indications such as pain, redness, swelling, foul mouth odour, and difficulty in opening the jaw or any other illnesses related to your impacted teeth may cause serious infection if you disregard the treatment.
The Wisdom Teeth Procedure
- The dentist will first conduct a thorough examination of the impacted teeth and its surrounding teeth.
- Digital X-rays will be use to determine the position and location of the teeth and if it requires extraction.
- The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia or sedation dentistry to make the patient comfortable during the procedure.
- Once the tooth is extracted, the gum is sutured.
- Wisdom teeth removal is a common and straightforward procedure; thus, you can go home after the procedure once you are ready. The dentist will provide pain medications and post-operative instructions before you leave the clinic.
- Follow-up appointments may be required to check monitor your recovery.
Smoking and Your Wisdom Teeth
If you don’t want to delay your healing process, be sure to quit smoking for a few a days following the wisdom teeth procedure. Smoking can negatively affect your recovery and trigger potential complications.
In the news
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), smoking can also affect your sense of taste and smell and delay your recovery after a tooth extraction or other dental procedure.
In addition, the tar from cigarette smoke stains your teeth, causes bad breath and can discolour your tongue. The only way to remove these stains is with a professional cleaning in the dentist’s office.
Wisdom Teeth Solution in Buderim
Your Buderim dentist may recommend wisdom teeth removal if the tooth is impacted and has caused dental problems. We will carefully and comprehensively evaluate your mouth and teeth to determine if you would benefit from the procedure. At Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, we are committed to keeping your oral health in the best possible state.